"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Friday, April 23, 2010

I Can See!

As previously blogged, one thing I enjoy about being single is my financial freedom, the fact that I can spend my money how I want to. This week, I put the rest of the money I made from doing homebound into new glasses! I went for my eye check-up, and my prescription had changed a tiny bit--enough to make new glasses nice but not enough to make them absolutely necessary, especially since I don't wear them all the time anyway. But, I had had my old glasses for four-and-a-half years and thought a change would be nice.

My little sister pointed out to me later that I should have just gotten new lenses for my old frames. This, she argued, would have been the fiscally responsible thing to do. Fiscally responsible, yes. Fun, no. When I got my first pair, I was in college, so my mom was paying for them (and let me say she did let me pick out some fabulous frames). This time around, since I'm now a "responsible adult," I was in charge of footing the bill. While some people might think of this as a bad thing, I found it liberating. I could pick out whatever I wanted. If they cost slightly more than I planned to spend, that was ok. It didn't matter what anyone else thought about how they looked because I was paying for them. It was totally and completely my choice.

It only took me about ten minutes to find my new frames, and I picked up my new glasses yesterday. It may seem silly, but getting (and paying for) my new glasses made me feel a little bit more like a real grown-up. (It was also a nice way to celebrate finishing homebound--which I FINALLY did yesterday--since I wouldn't have felt comfortable spending so much on glasses if I hadn't done it.)

And while I'm sure it would have been nice to have a boyfriend/husband to tell me how amazing I look with my new glasses last night, I don't really need that. I just so happen to think I look pretty cute in them. And me liking me is certainly a lot more important than some boy doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment