"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Monday, July 19, 2010

TV-Induced Paranoia

This has nothing to do with anything else that is coming up in this post, but I'm watching The Bachelorette right now and just feel like I need to officially say somewhere that I'm kind of obsessed with Chris L. I basically think he's awesome. And, I'm not afraid to admit that on the episode when he talked about his mom's funeral I cried. Kind of a lot. After last week's episode, I kind of wanted to move to Cape Cod.

Back to the point. As previously blogged, I have recently discovered I have a slight bend towards the irrational. And I have apparently stopped being embarrassed about it. In light of those two things, here's the story of what just happened to me.

I've been watching Prison Break. Before I go any farther, I need to say that, other than speeding, I haven't been breaking any laws, and I most certainly am not a convicted felon who has recently escaped from prison and is now running from the law. Nor do I think that I am somehow, against my will and knowledge, a key part of some giant government conspiracy. I know these things, but that didn't stop me from getting freaked out on my drive home from Bible study tonight.

A friend rode with me, so I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to drop her back off at her car. When I was leaving the parking lot, a blue Honda that had just been sitting there in the parking lot pulled out in front of me. For no justifiable reason, this freaked me out.
I tried to calm myself down by reminding myself of the previously mentioned facts that I'm not on the run or involved in a conspiracy.

But then, as I turned down a lovely little country road (I live kind of in the middle of nowhere, so I have to drive down lots of little country roads to get home), there was a car just sitting on a side road--with it's lights on, just sitting there. I thought that after I passed it would turn. But it didn't. It just sat there. Now, on this particular road at this time of night (it was around 10:00) I have actually just stopped to send a text because there are never any other cars and texting while driving is an unsafe no-no. So, I have literally sat there just like this car is doing. Do I think this? No. As I drive by and the car doesn't turn, all I can think of is that the people in this car know the people in the grocery store car and they are sitting there with a phone or radio or something letting someone up ahead know that I'm almost there--to some random place where they are going to try and make me pull over or run off the road so they can do something strange with me. Seriously, I had this thought. Seriously, my heart started pounding. And yes, stop reading now to mock me. And yes, I'm very ashamed of myself and embarrassed.

This incident, in combination with the fact that my Netflix homepage has now started recommending titles to me in categories such as "Violent Dramas" and "Violent Suspenseful TV Dramas," makes me think that perhaps I should not be binge-watching Prison Break.

On a final unrelated note: Bible Study Girls--Frank, the guy who just said on The Bachelorette that falling in love with Ali made him fall back in love with his ex-girlfriend, totally rocks the deep-V. I'm just saying. He also wears shirts with buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment