"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Feeling Lucky/Why I Like Google

I am a pretty quirky person. I love my quirky habits and really appreciate the quirky habits of others. My little sister, for example, has this habit of IMDBing every person even remotely involved in whatever television show or movie she is watching. By the end of the movie or episode, she will be able to tell you everyone's life story, birthday, and talk about everything else they have ever been in. It's not just the actors--she does writers, directors, everyone. Plus, she can talk to you about what just happened on the screen. It really is an amazing display of multitasking. And if you don't believe me (and you know her and her phone number), call her right now and ask her to tell you anything about anyone ever associated with One Tree Hill. You will be amazed.

I called her tonight (because I was upset about reading the Charlie St. Cloud book), and she told me she had made a rather amazing discovery. She had Googled some actor and hit the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, and it took her right to the actor's IMDB page. This was very exciting because it basically removes a step from her IMDBing process. Given the amount of IMDBing she does, this is a potentially huge discovery.

She did some tests and discovered that it doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for most people. Because I'm a good sister, I decided to help her with her research. So, over the phone, we started naming and I'm-Feeling-Lucky Googling celebrities. Generally, it's going to take you to either their IMDB (Brad Pitt and Wentworth Miller) or to their Wikipedia (Tina Fey and Drew Brees), which is also a useful tool but not the first choice of my sister.

We're in the middle of our research, and she suggests we try it with Henry Cavill. If you don't know who that is, do this:
1) Open a new tab in your internet browser
2) Do a Google image search for Henry Cavill
3) Look at the results
4) Read this: You are welcome.

Other than the newly found straight to IMDB thing, my favorite thing about Google is how it tries to autocomplete your search for you. When you start typing something in, you get a whole list of things other people have Googled. As I was typing in Henry Cavill for the great I'm-Feeling-Lucky experiment, the first search that came up after his name was "Henry Cavill Girlfriend." For whatever reason, I clicked on it. Then I scrolled down to the bottom of the page where one of my other favorite things about Google happens to live--the list of "searches related to" whatever you just searched. (Ok, first, I read some of the links...apparently he doesn't have a girlfriend right now....) This list contained maybe my favorite thing of the day (other than discovering the BBC America show The Choir, which I'm sure will be fully-blogged at another time). Here's the list--see if you can find the thing that doesn't belong:

Henry Cavill Married
Robert Pattinson Girlfriend
Steven Strait Girlfriend
Jonathan Rhys Meyers Girlfriend
Edward Cullen Girlfriend
Jared Padelecki Girlfriend

Who in the world is Googling "Edward Cullen Girlfriend"? First of all, he's a fictional character. And even in fiction, he's not a real boy. Second of all, everyone knows his girlfriend is Bella Swan.

In case you were wondering, if you I'm-Feeling-Lucky Google "Edward Cullen Girlfriend," you get taken to a site with a quiz entitled "Could You Be Edward Cullen's Girlfriend?" In case you were wondering, I could. Maybe that's my problem...I've been looking for real guys.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently I'm "more like Jacob's girl." I could have told you as much without the quiz although it's ridiculous that one exists. Also there is a grammatical error in the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention the huge discovery of the night! The loss for the world of single girls is great. I almost wore all black today, but then I remembered that I am taking a walk with a girl in the 3pm Alabama heat. That wouldn't be the best life choice, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, during the great Googlefest, my sister and I discovered that Michael Vartan is in fact marrying someone he met in a Whole Foods parking lot. But, since he is on her list, not mine, it doesn't count as a loss for me. Since we can't have duplicates, I lost him when she put him on the list of famous people she would be allowed to date. (Don't worry, one day I will post about the lists....it was a long and difficult process, and they have only recently been finalized.) What it did for me was make me seriously question my grocery-shopping habits...why haven't I met someone beautiful in the grocery store parking lot?

    ReplyDelete