"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Things Students Don't Know

For the past week my students have been studying propaganda terms. One of those terms is testimonials, which is when you have a famous person in your ad. For part of their quiz, I played commercials for them to analyze. When I was selecting the one to use for testimonial, I picked one of the Hanes commercials with Michael Jordan because I thought everyone knew who he was. Apparently I'm really stupid. In my Honors class, at least half of the girls had absolutely no idea. I said, "That's Michael Jordan." Their response was, "Who's Michael Jordan?" Seriously.

When I teach MLA format for songs, I use an example citation of the Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I accepted after my first year that students were not going to know the song or know that Nirvana was a real band. (Although this year, for the first time, I had a student who knew it--it kind of made my day, I'm not going to lie.) But I never thought I would teach students who don't know who Michael Jordan is. In this so-called information age when they get out their phones, go on the internet, and basically get any information they want, I am convinced that students are in some ways becoming more stupid.

1 comment: