"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Monday, February 22, 2010

God and Irony

People like to say that God has a sense of humor. I guess He does, kind of, but that's just one of His many attributes. If you're a book nerd like me and you read the Bible, you also pick up on the fact that God is a pretty fantastic writer. And, like all good writers, He uses the tools of good writing. (Now you know a little bit how my students feel when I go all grammar/writing nerd on them.) One of those tools at a good writer's disposal is irony. Not quite sure what irony is? Let's take a look at an example.

There was a girl. She decided that she was going to take an entire year and focus on loving herself. As the year went on, she began to notice that she really didn't love God or other people all that much. But, she did notice that she liked herself just fine. She also started to notice pajama pants, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the irony.

That, my friends, is a great example of irony. You decide to start loving yourself and really see that you need to love God more. And other people more. You discover that loving yourself is something you've basically got down.

(But don't worry, I'm not going to stop appreciating myself....so there are still presents and fun things in my future that I will be posting!)

1 comment: