"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reasons to Watch the Olympics

As mentioned earlier, I love the Olympics. I love the way that the competition takes on a bigger meaning, how people suddenly become incredibly patriotic, how the world comes together (some kid in the Netherlands is watching the same thing that I am in the same moment). It's fantastic. I also love that they only happen once every four years and the fact that sports that no one really knows exist during non-Olympic years become all people talk about. (On this note, I think that I need to move somewhere in Europe so I can follow speed skating all the time because I think it is one of the best things ever.) I also love watching them now because since I lived in Russia for an extended period of time, I like to think of it as my back-up country, which means I have two countries to pull for instead of one. I love all the human interest stories. I love the NBC Olympics music. I normally don't like Bob Costas at all--but I like him during the Olympics. I think what it comes down to is that, in our messed up world, the Olympics give us a safe reason to hope in something. And it's nice to feel like you're a part of a nation-wide hope. The Olympics work wonders on me. Just look at this next reason....

This is what happens to me when I watch the Olympics: I start thinking pretty much every guy competing is good looking. It is illogical, yes, but it is also interesting and fun. Boys who I normally would not define as hot suddenly get bumped up several notches. I can't really pinpoint why.

Perfect example: Apolo Ohno. (Random aside: Did he stop using his middle name--because I'm pretty sure he used to be Apolo Anton Ohno, but now whenever they put stuff up about him, it just says Apolo Ohno. But an announcer definately just said all three names. The people at NBC need to work this out--I need continuity in my Olympic coverage please.) He has weird hair--on his head and on his face. He was on Dancing With the Stars. He always wears bandanas or headbands. On a normal day, I would look at a picture of him and think, "not that cute." I saw him on tv and in a magazine last week and thought, "not that cute." But now, post opening ceremonies, as I watch short track speed skating, I find myself thinking, "He's totally cute." Nothing has changed about the way he looks.

It probably has something to do with the competition. Or the fact that winning probably makes people seem more attractive. Or the fact that he just bumped some guy (which he didn't get in trouble for, so I assume it was totally legal--but I don't really know anything about the rules of speed skating, so it seemed a tad rebellious to me, which for reasons unknown to anyone, girls think is great). Or the fact that I just learned that he works out eight hours a day. Whatever the reason, the point of the story is that for the next two weeks, there are basically going to be cute guys on tv whenever I turn it on. Like I said, I love the Olympics.

1 comment:

  1. One exception to the all guys are hot rule, Shaun White. I think I thought that the last four years he would learn to grow cut his hair however, I guess it has become his trademark and it remains. Interesting as the red is, I do not find him attractive at all. Another reason to like the Olympics, lots of Brian Williams who has such a great voice.

    ReplyDelete