"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Grace Experiment: Part 4

Today was an amazing day. And by amazing, I mean that my last class was quiet, focused, and on task for the whole block (well, they might have lost it during the last 5 minutes, but those don't count)!! I actually got to walk around and help individual students instead of policing everyone. It was fabulous!

During class a student asked me if I had a copy of The Giving Tree (I suspect this is because he was tired of his novel and wanted a book with pictures....). I don't, but his mention of the book got me to thinking.

Being a teacher is a lot like being the Giving Tree. By the end, the tree has given everything he has; he's just a stump. But he isn't angry about it at all. At the beginning of the school year, I'm a full-grown teacher--with branches and apples to give. Throughout the fall semester, that's exactly what I do, and over Christmas break I get a little break to regrow. But, by this time in the year, I feel like I've given everything I've got to give. I'm a stump. Unlike the tree, however, I'm not exactly thrilled about being a stump. I want to be a tall tree.

What's the difference between me and the tree? What's the tree's trick to being happy about being a stump, being happy about giving all of himself away? The tree has accepted his purpose. He knows he's a tree, and he knows he exists to provide certain things. The tree loves unconditionally. He just wants the boy to be happy. The tree gives. He doesn't just give enough; he gives sacrificially. He gives until he literally can't give any more because of his love for the boy and because he knows that's what he was created to do.

How would I change if I was like the tree in those respects? If I totally accepted that teaching was God's purpose for my life. If I looked at my life as being for other people, not for me. If I loved my students unconditionally--not for what they did or didn't do for me but because they are here now, in my life, and placed there for me to love. If I did those things, I think I would be more willing to give to them, so all the time I spend planning and grading wouldn't be something I resented. I would be glad to be giving to my students. And when I'm worn down and tired, I wouldn't be angry. I would rejoice in the fact that God was using me, and I would have peace in knowing that I had done all I could, that I had given everything I had to achieve the purpose set out for me.

So this week, I'm going to work on being more like a tree.

2 comments:

  1. Who says God doesn't answer prayer!!!!! I am so excited that your class is more attentive, and that you are realizing God's purpose for you at this season in your life. And remember, the strong trees have deep roots, as I know you do!!
    Psalm 1:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!! I often felt like a stump as a mom - after days and weeks of feeling that all i did was give out and never receive! What I found out is that After the barrenness of the winter, after all the good is given - Spring returns and God has refilled me for a new purpose!
    Jess, you are a fountain! Springing forth with wonderful loving ideas!
    And you may be the one teacher that some student will always remember with a smile!

    ReplyDelete