"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Monday, March 1, 2010

Welcome Back/Computer Monday Part Two

It's time for the usual Monday disjointed computer class post!

I'm now happily in the middle of computer class, and I can proudly say that I learned something new today! I also made a flyer for my fictional essay contest. It's a 500-1000 word essay on this topic: The Book that Changed my Life. The prize (and I'm copying this from the flyer) is:
The Grand Prize winner will receive the honor of being called Ms. Bower’s Favorite Seventh Grader
I know, you so want to enter my contest. My fake flyer has also made me think about books that have changed my life. Perhaps I will start posting about them.
After making a fake flyer, I update my Netflix queue. I've been watching a lot online lately, so my queue for real DVDs needed some serious maintenance. I discovered that the movie Bright Star is now out on DVD. If you're wondering why you have never heard of this movie, the answer is because you are normal. You're not an English-geek like me. The movie tells the love story between John Keats (my favorite poet) and some lucky girl named Fanny Brawne (although I have to say, if you have the misfortune of being named Fanny, you deserve a romantic poet boyfriend, although maybe not one who dies really young from TB). Because I love Keats, this movie took the number one spot from the first disc of The Tudors: Season 3. I'm really excited.
On another Keats note, Amazon has a book that goes with the movie that is poems and letters Keats wrote to/about Fanny Brawne. I have his collected works, so I don't need the poetry, but I totally want the letters. The only problem here is that, when you are an English-nerd like me, you find out facts like this one--Keats left in his will that he wanted his letters to Franny to be destroyed. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they were (I'm not sure how that worked since she would have had them--maybe they were destroyed once she died too). The point is, he obviously didn't want people reading them. So, I'm left with and English-geek dilemma. Do I read the letters, which I would most likely love, or do I respect the wishes of my favorite dead poet? Because I have English morals and believe in authorial integrity, I'm leaning towards not reading them. It's possible I could break down at a later date.
My friend and I brought snacks for our computer class tonight. Usually there are leftovers. Class isn't over yet, and our snacks are gone. Not to brag or anything, but I guess we are that awesome.
Now we're doing Excel, so I'm going to have to pay attention. Boo! Has anyone ever thought about playing Battleship in Excel? You totally could. I'm going to make this happen.
I'm not looking forward to The Bachelor tonight. Since for some reason the "winner" of this season is perhaps the worst-kept secret of all time, I'm sad and upset (not because I know, because of who he picks). But I'm still going to watch.
Excel involves math. Double Boo!!
I should make a budget. Should being the key word.
One of my friends is a nurse. He's going to Haiti on Friday. I'm jealous and wish I had a job that let me travel and do cool things. But I'm a teacher; that's why I read.
I'm going to the grocery store on my way home! Plus, on the Mondays I don't have Bible study, I get to drive through Sonic and get tater tots as my "I survived class" present! It's going to be amazing!
That's all for class--bring on the stupid Bachelor finale.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you again! Hope this week is going better and that you'll have some interesting, exciting, insightful posts! Maybe since you'll be with an adorable guy tonight you'll be inspired!!

    ReplyDelete