"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Week In Review

Since I didn't post much this week, I thought I would offer a short recap of the latter half of my week.

WEDNESDAY: After school, I went with a friend to a local bridal shop so she could get measured for a bridesmaid's dress. (She had never been to the store before and is a slightly directionally challenged, so it was just easier if I went with her. Plus we hadn't really talked in a few days, and we needed to catch up.) While she was getting measured, I started looking through wedding dresses, which is not always the best thing to do when you are single. I found one that was totally me--and therefore totally fabulous--and ended up a little sad because obviously a wedding dress is pretty high up there on the list of things I don't need to buy right now.

The dress, however, did give me the extra nudge I needed to pump up the speed on the treadmill and up my run from 20 to 30 minutes. Yea--I guess. (To communicate how much I dislike running, I offer this excerpt from text conversation between my roommate and myself:
Me: I'm running on your treadmill.
Her: Did you have a bad day? Is that why you are running?
See, I hate to run. I'm not one of those people who loves it and wants to do it all the time--I think they are crazy. I usually only want to run when I've had a bad day. I never run because I want to.)

THURSDAY: Since finishing The School of Essential Ingredients I have wanted to do nothing but cook. I especially wanted to bake a cake, which is an obvious diet no-no. I found out that one of my student's birthdays was Friday, and that was all the reason I needed to put my new Kitchen-Aid to the test and do some hard core baking! (It turns out that, for me, baking is much more therapeutic than running--I'm going to have to find someone to start dumping baked goods on when I feel a bad day coming.) I also had some trouble deciding what I wanted to eat for dinner, so after a trip to the grocery store, I went home and cooked the following:

1 huge pot of white bean and vegetable soup (which I didn't use a recipe for and turned out being quite yummy!)
1 yellow cake (from scratch) iced with chocolate frosting (also made from scratch)
And, a ginger chicken and snow pea stir fry.

Keep in mind that I'm home alone this week thanks to my roommate's rouge gallbladder, so by 8:00 on Thursday, I had a kitchen literally full of food and only one mouth to eat it.
(As a side note here, I am really enjoying my "I have to cook for myself" thing. I've made some great new recipes and always have left-overs, which makes packing my lunch much quicker and fun--It also means I've been eating something other than a frozen waffle for breakfast, which makes me feel like a whole new person in the morning.) While it would have been nice to have someone else around to eat all my food, I'm glad I'm single because, if I weren't, someone might have been around to stop me from cooking so much food. And I really enjoyed myself.

FRIDAY: I hung out with my mom and my little brother. Much to my delight, my brother wanted to play his Harry Potter video game and watch part of a Harry Potter movie. I thought that I should be concerned that I'm turning my brother into a little nerd, but it was so much fun for me that I stopped worrying about it.

One of my favorite parts to the evening was in the car on the way to dinner. My little brother informed me that a lot of the boys in his kindergarden class pretend to need to go to the bathroom so they can get out of reading (a trick I am quite familiar with since I teach boys). He quickly assured me that he has never done that. I'm glad I'm single, otherwise I wouldn't have so much time to hang out with such a cool kid.

SATURDAY: This morning, I went to a rec basketball game because one of my students invited me to come see him play. It was at 9:00. I don't like to be up before 9:00, but it seemed important to my student so I went. While I was there, I ran into another teacher from my school. She has 3 sons, all of whom were playing in 9:00 basketball games. She was talking about how she got all 3 of them up, ready, fed, and at their games on time. All I could think was I couldn't even do that for 1 person. I had gotten myself up and to the game, but I can't say I was ready since I had put on a hat instead of fixing my hair and since I hadn't managed to get myself fed. It's a good thing for me that I'm single since I obviously can't be trusted to get people ready on Saturday mornings.

So, even though I was worried about getting lonely, I had a pretty fun and full week. Another week when I found lots of reasons to be thankful for my single status.

No comments:

Post a Comment