"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekend Update

This weekend I went to an English teacher conference. Here are a few highlights:

1) On the drive down, my friend and I drove through McDonalds. We were busy discussing our requirements for our future husbands (she is single too). She was in the middle of talking about how the most important thing is his relationship with Christ. As I pulled up to the window to get our food, she was saying, "How is your relationship with Jesus?" The guy working the drive-thru leaned out a bit and said, "I'm sorry--what?"

2) The last page in the conference program was a list of places to eat near the conference center. One description said that the restaurant boasted many items on its menu, including "veal meatload." Seriously, this is a conference for English teachers. Does no one proofread these things??

3) We ate dinner Friday night at a very nice restaurant. At first, I was a little uncomfortable because it was so nice and our waiter kept hovering. (He would come refill my water after about every three sips. Seriously. I'm not kidding.) Then, I started eating, and it was so good and I got so full that I totally didn't care anymore. By the end of my dinner, I was leaning back in my chair, paying no attention to how I should be sitting up very straight....

4) The weather started to get bad on Saturday, so my friend and I decided to leave early so we didn't have to drive home in the dark. We talked with the other people from our district about what we should do (our curriculum coordinator and ESOL teacher, who are both women and were going to leave early, and two male teachers, who were not leaving early--I could digress on my theory about what this says about the differences in men and women, especially in the area of driving, but I won't). Finally, we decided to leave early because both our moms were worried about us driving home in the potentially icy weather. This, I later told my friend, is how you know we are both single and under thirty. We just left a work function early because our moms wanted us to.

We got home safely, loaded with lots of fabulous new ideas (I don't know how excited my students are going to be....), and I'm looking forward to a new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment