"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Monday, January 24, 2011

Fun and Games

I've been playing a lot of games lately. And I don't mean interpersonal games, like playing hard to get or something. I mean literal games.

My little brother got Band Hero for his Wii for his birthday. Maybe the best thing about this game is the fact that a bunch of songs that you've always known become somewhat new because the actual words come up on the screen as you sing. For some songs, this is interesting and educational. For others, it is just absurd. For example, the Spice Girls song "Wannabe" or the Styx song "Mr. Roboto." We would start one of these songs, and by the middle I would be doubled over on the floor in a puddle of my own tears, laughing uncontrollably. It was amazing.

Tonight, I got together with my Bible study girls for game night. We played a game called The Game of Things. The basic premise for the game is that someone draws a card with a category of things (for example, things you should do everyday) and then everyone else writes down a thing that fits in the category (for example, read this blog...see what I did there?). Then, the person who read the category reads all the things and the other players try to guess who wrote which thing. It is amazing. I'm horrible at games like this because, as my sisters or anyone who knows me really will not be afraid to say, I think I'm funnier than I am. So, whenever I play games like this, I usually crack up when my own answer gets read...even if it's not that funny. I just really entertain myself.

Anyway, the game ended up being really funny. I wanted to share a few of the funnier moments with you, my loyal readers who read this blog everyday. Without further ado, I present Moments from The Game of Things: A Comedy in Three Acts.

Act One: Things I Would Do if I were a Giant
"Try and hide in small spaces"
"Say 'Fi Fye Fo Fum' a lot to scare kids" (That one was mine...someone guessed it right away. I like to think that was because of the literary allusion, but it was probably because I started laughing as soon as it was read.)

Act Two: Things You Shouldn't Pick Up
"Married men"

Act Three: Things You Shouldn't Say to Your Wife
One of the best things about this one was the fact that someone wrote down, "You really do look kind of fat in that." This meant that during the guessing phase, multiple friends of mine looked at someone else in our group and said variants of "You're the fat one!"
It also brought what in my mind was the best answer of the night...maybe in the history of the game.
"I got you these Pajama Jeans for your birthday."
(If you don't know what those are, click the link to watch the commercial. It's amazing. Mock fly? A size for everyone, yet there are only 8 sizes? I'm intrigued.)

So, I guess the moral of this post is that you should take some time this week to play a game (and maybe you should be a little jealous that I have such fun and clever friends...). Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment