"And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new...."
-Revelation 21:5

"An unmarried woman is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord...."
-1 Corinthians 7: 34

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
-Oscar Wilde

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Today's Reason to Be Happy Being Single AND Dating Myself

I love watching tennis. So, I was particularly excited about this year's Australian Open Men's Final: Novak Djokavic v. Andy Murray. Because it's Australia, there's a huge time difference, which meant that if I wanted to watch it live I would have to wake up around 3 AM. I did. So did my sister. We stayed on the phone for almost the entire match, and somewhere in the second set I asked her is she thought we would do this if/when one or both of us is married. I asked if she thought we would just wake up and go watch in our living rooms or something. Her answer was probably not, and as much as it makes me sad to admit it, she's probably right. So, I'm really glad that we woke up and watched together this year. And I'm really glad I'm single and can wake up and watch tennis in bed at 3 AM if I want.

If you've been reading the blog for a while, you may remember that going to the movies alone was one of my goals for last year, so that's what I did for my Valentine's Day with myself last year. I liked it, but haven't been to the movies alone since. This week I, along with four of my coworkers, presented at my state's English teacher's conference. Our presentation went really well, and we even won an award for Best Use of Conference Theme! It's official. I'm awesome. I was around people nonstop until I got home Saturday night, so I was in great need of alone time. So, this afternoon, instead of typing up my lesson plans for the week like I should have, I decided to take myself to the movies as a reward for my great presentation and as a chance to spend some quality time with myself. I even got myself popcorn and Diet Coke. And I got to the movies 15 minutes early, which I love doing, but usually don't do because other people don't like getting to the movies 15 minutes early. No one talked to me during the movie...or after the movie, which I was glad about because it was a really sad movie and I didn't want to talk about it because it was so painfully real (although I still think Social Network is the saddest movie ever). It was glorious. I have 4 movies left out of the 10 nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, and I'm looking forward to taking myself to see a few more (two are already out on DVD, so I only need to go to the theater to see True Grit and 127 Hours).

Every once in a while, I have days where I'm really glad to be single. Today was one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment